Friday, August 28, 2009

Massey's First Football Game

It's 11:30 PM. Went into work this morning at 10:30, worked til almost 4, came home changed clothes and headed to the football field at 5:00. it was Massey's debut in a half time show and my debut as a funnel cake maker. I'll let you guess which was more enjoyable. I am covered in batter and still smell like powdered sugar and funnel cake mix.

It was kinda a bummer, I didn't get to see her perform in the halftime show...I had thirty people waiting in line for a funnel cake as the halftime show started and the line didn't quit until they went into overtime at 10:30.

When the band marched into the stadium one of the other funnel cake moms and I went to see them march in while the oil heated up in our two fryers. They looked SO good and Massey was grinning from ear to ear! In the above pic she is next to last ...looking right at my camera.

When I walked into the stadium a huge guy said "Hey, Massey's mom!" I enthusiastically said hey right back as he passed and asked my new found funnel cake partner who he was
..she didn't have a clue.

I told her I should have said "We heard you were going to be on the clean up crew for the funnel cake stand and I was so excited to see your name... We'll be sure to save ya one, big boy!"

Having just met me thankfully she laughed and said I should have.

They did a great job with the National Anthem and it almost brought tears to my eyes as I stood with my hand over my heart.

Back to the funnel cake stand we went. I told the other ladies "Now let's don't do TOO good of a job or they will never move us away from these fryers."

Lots of practice was done before we figured out how to do it right. Believe it or not, my husband helped us out the whole time! His job was to take tickets for the funnel cakes and chat with the people while they waited five minutes for us to produce their paper plate of crap junk food. He chatted them up and kept it from growing into an angry mob scene.

I hate that I missed her performance , but there will be away games that I can sit in the stands and enjoy the show.

The reason this band program is so successful is that parents like me volunteer and make the whole thing go smoothly. It is a tremendous money maker for the band.

The football team gets all the proceeds from the gates $7 for adults, $6 for kids. There were easily over 4,000 people there...probably more.

The band gets all the concession money. There was face and body painting in school colors, tee shirts, hats, pizza, Chic Fil A... they had a huge grill pit with hot dogs, hamburgers, brats, french fries and popcorn.

They even had homemade ice cream.

I was impressed .

I even picked me up an " East Coweta Band" tee shirt for $2 ( I am now official!)

After going through three, five gallon buckets of funnel cake mix...we decided we had had enough.

One of my newly founded friends and I went to watch the overtime.

We stood by the section of the stands where the band was and the woman with me said "Look how much fun these kids are having."

You know what? THEY WERE.

They have a tremendous band director that genuinely loves our kids and they love him right back. They are part of a great group and the camaraderie is obvious.

This is what high school is all about.

If I had to stand over two fryers @ 400 degrees for four hours for my child to enjoy this experience...it was well worth it.

They were tied 21-21.

Went into overtime...the other team scored but missed the field goal. We came back and scored. MADE OUR FIELD GOAL and won the game by one point.

It brought back memories of my own high school football games and how much fun they were for me.

Massey came in the door at the house still singing the fight song.

It was a wonderful night.

I HATE funnel cakes.

I LOVE my daughter.

I am glad that she goes to such a great school and that I am a small part of making it JUST that.

Going to wash the batter off of my face, drink a cold one and pray to God that I get assigned to wrapping hot dogs in foil at the next home game (I'm not counting on it...just wishing.)

GO ECHS !!!









No comments: