Sunday, August 9, 2009

Lucky Thirteen

This is a pic from the Sheperd Center when I went to visit my friend from work two days before they released her. I looked happy in this photo so I thought I would use it to make me feel better. Day thirteen working ...I have had one day off in the past 21 and it was wearing on me tonight. On Sundays I go in at 3 and work til close. I thought LAST night was rough! When I came home last night I fell into bed and stayed there until two this afternoon. The only reason I got up that soon was that I had to be at work by three. Luckily it was slow the first hour or so and one of my favorite cooks fed me pasta, veggies and I went to the back and got a whole plate of fresh strawberries and grapes. After feeling somewhat fortified, the masses began trickling in the doors. Then it was non stop until around nine thirty ...we close at ten. Then I have to help clean up, close the store down and pray that someone doesn't cruise in the door five minutes before we close. (My prayers were answered.) I usually feel so good but tonight I could have taken a nap in the kitchen floor without hesitation. Sometimes it is hard for me to remember that I am almost 50 working with kids in their early twenties. Tonight it was easy to remember that. I can still work circles around them, but didn't feel compelled to tonight. My back hurt, my head hurt and my feet hurt...I JUST HURT. Granted I made it through, made really good money, but this ole dog was ready for the dog house. I don't like to work this many days in a row, but it helped us out tremendously and all I need is one day to myself. I can work in the yard, clean the house and go grocery shopping. When did I turn so old that these things make me happy? At least I seem to be pretty low maintenance. I didn't go see Frances today and hated that I didn't, but it was stay in bed til I had to work or go to work riding a "Rascal." At least I made it through tonight and that is all that matters. At one point in the evening when it was busy, I ran some food to a table that wasn't mine and the husband looked at me like I was crazy for bringing their dinner out so soon. I looked and the wife was pretty much through with her salad, but the husband was poking along with his. I asked if they wanted me to have their dinner cooked over again and the husband grumpily said "NO." I told him I didn't want for them to feel rushed...and said "How about if we buy you a dessert...I can be back with it in 30 seconds." At least the wife laughed and at least it wasn't my table. At least I made it through the night...BARELY. Came home and filled out the forty forms it obviously takes for you to have your child attend a second day of school, gave the dogs some fresh water, read part of my book...tossed back a cold one and now I am ready for bed again. I only have 24 hours before my vacation is up and I have to return to the grind. I want to get up early and do what I enjoy most...yard work, cooking and getting my house clean. Actually I hate cleaning house, but when it is done it is a MAJOR good feeling and is nice to be surrounded by "Clean." Maybe I can squeeze in a visit to Frances, that ALWAYS makes me feel better. Headed back to bed now, just wanted to gripe on the Internet...Now I feel a little better. Blogging always does that for me...I must be HOOKED!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are really an incredible woman. One that
makes us all proud! I could not keep up with
you, I know.
I LOVE, LOVE that picture of you.
And I enjoy reading your blogs.
Love.