Friday, July 17, 2009

This May Go Into Overtime...

Just got home from work and I am irritated .



Really, I had a good night at work. I started training a girl who I could tell from the first five minutes would make a good addition to our store. We were busy and that is always a good thing, but when you train a new hire you want them to see how the "CRUNCH" really unfolds and how immediate our job can be when it is busy. Three minutes makes a huge difference at a table many times.



Before I went into work, I went to the "PO- Leese" department to pick up my new alcohol permit. Don't even let me get started on what a waste of money these are and a slush fund for the city. I lost mine and had to pay another $25 ...even though I renewed mine in January (they are good for a year.)



This was my sixth visit to the ...let's be generous and call it a 'Precinct.'



The idiot behind the luckily bullet proof glass told me that I had come at the wrong time. She and a co worker were chatting and I guess that pressing a button or two was just more than they could handle. The last time I went she asked me how I wanted to pay and I told her I had paid over two weeks ago and was just waiting to pick up my permit. She told me to come back to have my picture taken and I told her she could use the old photo.



Of course they can't!!



I have to return tomorrow at nine in the morning to have my picture taken. Dang, did I fill out the application for Secret Service Agent?



By the time I actually receive my permit...I may be standing in line for next year's. I told my husband that it was like visiting the Mayberry Sheriff's office and finding Andy and Barney had gone fishing and left Floyd and Goober in charge.



Then I go in and train a new hire. She is an on the ball girl. She doesn't try to over do it...maybe she could but she shows patience with my tired ole half century old body and actually let's me train her.



We got pounded for a Wednesday night and she was extremely helpful to me and the entire shift.



When I train, I do not get paid any extra money. They let me be exempt from polishing and rolling silverware...usually a count of about 80 sets of silver. It is a pain the the butt, and no one likes doing it. I also get a training meal. After the shift, we sit down and each get a meal that I discuss and describe to them, and they get to taste several varieties of our menu. The first night you each get a fillet Mignon. The next night you each get either of two grilled chicken dishes that we have. The third night you each get any burger or sandwich. The last night you each get a kids portion of ribs with any dessert you choose.



Tonight when I ordered our steaks...the bartender who rings up training meals remarked that we had to "Share" one single meal. Per orders from the corporation who bought our company out last October.



Heck, this is mid July. I have trained probably seven people since then and this was the first that I had heard.

ANYHOO...this part is being written by me the NEXT night...I warned you it might go into overtime!

I went to the Mayberry jail to pick up my alcohol permit this morning. She chirpily said "It'll just be a minute!!"

After sitting in a chair for forty five minutes, the Asian woman in front of me in the que, went into their 'mysterious secret room' to have her ID scanned with her photo and spat out of the other end of their fancy dancy alcohol permit making do thingy.

I heard computer rebooting, drives opening, film being changed (they were talking about what could possibly be wrong with the machine.) After thirty minutes the Asian woman came back out and sat with me. She said "The machine no working." I gave her a sad shake of my head and told her I heard. She asked me "Why it take so long?" I replied as honestly as I could and simply said "Because they are idiots."

The desk clerk that I was coming close to hating came bouncing out of the room and said "I just don't know what to tell you. This machine is so big and bulky...way too complicated if you ask me... have you SEEN how big that thing is?"

I told her "No, I haven't gotten that far along in the process yet." She told me since I had already made a couple of trips there she would go ahead and take my picture on the digital camera and I could come by before I went into work and she could have it ready for me.

I was so ticked when she took my picture... but at least she didn't say "CHEESE!"

I left (again) over an hour early for work to go get my "Golden" Id card.

Ya damn straight it was ready! I think after she saw my photo on the card...she knew she was close to having me really go off on her. It is hands down the worst picture I have ever taken. I came home tonight and told my daughter to check out my ID card. I told her I was so mad when they took it that it was the worst picture I had ever taken. She said "I bet you looked like THIS"...and put an expression on her face that made me feel like I was looking into a mirror at my own self whenever I open one of Zach's report cards or when my oldest son TJ calls with news (always bad.) Thank the Lord Massey can't see my expression when I read some of her "Important" texts she sends me in the middle of a busy shift. At least she always includes a smiley face made with punctuation marks.

Is the "Mother is REALLY pissed" look actually that obvious ? And if it is, why doesn't it work more often with my kids?

At least it worked with the idiot at the police department.

Obviously it worked with my managers as well.

They informed me at work tonight that the company was strictly following the rules now and I had to split a meal with my trainee.

I replied that if we were strictly following the rules, I would go get the server training manual (that none of them have ever looked at) and show them where it said pertaining to trainer meals:

Day Two: Fillets

Day Three: T- Bone or New York Strip

Day Four: Rack of Ribs, appetizer and dessert

It was amazing. The general manager said "Let's just keep it the way we had it."

I feel like if the trainees see that the company is already trying to rip them off before they ever get on the floor (it ain't helping our cause)...What kind of trade is a burger or sandwich for a rack of ribs, appetizer and dessert? I feel like saying "Welcome to corporate ."

But at least I got MY meals back. It fed Massey tonight...although after that impression of me I should have made her eat Spaghettios, not the fillet I brought her home tonight since they stiffed me on it last night.

All in all it turned out to be a good day... as long as I don't look at my pic on my ID card.


No comments: