Friday, July 17, 2009

The Sound of Silence

I am sitting out back in my little world that I enjoy beyond belief.

Worked the day shift, came home and took Massey shopping for her "necessary" items for Guard camp next week. Went to BJ's and bought a hundred pound bag of dog food...at least it felt that heavy heaving it into the car. Grilled tuna steaks and talapia and made a hash brown casserole. Put another load of endless laundry in the washer and went out back with my book (currently an Anne Tyler selection).

The cicadas and frogs are chirping and croaking. I have the radio on a public radio station (88.9 just to plug them cause they are GREAT.) They play all classic rock and oldies. When is the last time you heard "Stone in Love With You" by the Stylistics or "One Toke Over the Line" on the radio?

If you live in the Atlanta southern crescent...it is the greatest thing to happen to music lovers.

Just tonight I heard songs I remember from the skating rink (Seasons in the Sun)... "We had joy we had fun, we had seasons in the sun"...the East Point swimming pool... "Brandy" and songs that I remember my older siblings listening to. I like a radio station that still plays "American Pie"... "Me and Bobby McGee" and even "Brick House."

Am I getting old or am I trying too hard not to?

In the words of my almost fourteen year old daughter "WHATEVER."

I got a lot of things done around the house and yard and ended up on the back porch with a good book, a cold beer and time to myself...listening to music that not only takes me back but makes me feel grateful that I was a part of it. I mean REALLY...who plays Carole King on the radio anymore? If I hear them play Janis Ian's "At Seventeen" I might cry. At least I will know EVERY word ...

1 comment:

Joannah said...

Everytime I hear "Ready or Not" by Jackson Browne I think of you. And I smile...then I look at my firstborn son, ol Jack, and smile again. I sure am glad youre my friend.