Saturday, July 25, 2009

Last Day With My Girl

Massey leaves for band camp tomorrow morning. She is so excited she can hardly stand it. It's a good thing she leaves tomorrow because I ran out of money two days ago! Using my crafty kiting techniques... by the time all the checks hit the bank I should have them all covered from my next two shifts at work. The packing list they sent home on Thursday was two pages long!



Geez, you'd think they were going on a mission trip to a third world country. We got all the necessities, skipped a couple of suggestions that just seemed to be superfluous and in the end have her all ready to go and me ready for bankruptcy!



Totally kidding, making your kids happy is worth every penny.



Zach is still on a "Cleaning High". Today he cleaned all the kitchen counters and is upstairs now cleaning a closet after finishing up all the laundry. I secretly hope he never gets a job, I can keep him under my psychological spell til he gets married. Then HIS wife can take over.



Went to visit Frances in re hab today. Massey has donated her lap top to Frances for her stint in re hab so she can keep up with everyone. She is sharp as a tack and computer savvy. When we got there she was no where to be found, so just like most of the patients that can...we roamed hall after hall til we found her in an office trying to get on line courtesy of the activities director who led her to a desk top in some office. Her nephew was here visiting, super nice guy. You should have seen Frances' face when Massey pulled her lap top out of her bag and presented it to Frances. She raised both arms above her head and exclaimed "Hallelujah."



Her nephew wheeled Frances back to her room and we got Frances all plugged in. We couldn't pick up a signal in her room, it kept asking for a pass word so we went to the family room two doors down that had a sign saying it was a WI FI hotspot. That didn't work either, we will have to wait til Monday when the ad min office is open so we can get the password. Frances had told us as soon as she saw the lap top that you could get a connection in the lobby, so after trying three different rooms claiming "Hot Spot" we wheeled her up to the front lobby. I wish you could have seen the stares from the folks sitting in wheelchairs and perched on walkers. I don't think they even knew what the lap top was but they were all riveted to our arrival. One woman excitedly said "Here's a plug by me, plug it in by me!"



Bingo! We got online and Massey set up the computer with all Frances' favorite sites saved at the bottom of the screen. With a quick tutorial from Massey, Frances caught right on to using the lap top and when she got to her email was tickled pink to send an email to her niece in Texas.



After that she asked Massey to help her see her bank account and find our family website as well. After a few minutes I told Frances to check her email again and YES, she had a response from her niece!



It is nice to know now she can stay connected to all of us anytime she wants and we can stay in touch with her just by a few clicks on our computers as well. Modern technology...ain't it grand?



Massey and I went to the store to get a few more things for camp and picked up a lap desk for lap tops so that she can use the computer from her wheel chair more easily. It has a bean bag type bottom and holds the computer more securely in her tiny little lap.



It is so easy to make someone else happy...I need to do it more often.



She has a little trouble controlling the tiny mouse pad with her finger (I have the same problem when I use Massey's lap top!) so I told her Zach and I would bring a mouse from home so we can plug it into the lap top and she can use it like she did on her desk top at home.



She is really improving, still upbeat and happy. God is really taking care of her and we pray that her recovery is faster than anyone has predicted. With an attitude as good as hers, I know it will be!



When Massey and I came back from getting a quick bite to eat, she was sitting reading my blog!



This one's for YOU, FRANCES!



Til next time...COTTON

No comments: