Thursday, June 25, 2009

Michael, Farrah..GEEZZ !

What a weird and LONG day.

First went to lunch at my sisters with my daughter for our dear friend Elizabeth's birthday...we even let Elizabeth come!

Had a great time, signed Elizabeth up for Facebook so she could join all the thousands of groups there are...some are quite good. My sister started a Facebook for the church that we grew up in. We found a group for the church that she went to and went ahead and signed her up for our church too.

My sister started our home church site and with her millions of going ons forgot about it. I came across it one day on FB and signed up..she had one other member.

She made me an administrator and then I took off. I posted a pic of the women of our church holding their babies and standing on the front steps of the church in the mid fifties...that is our profile picture. Then I scanned wedding photos from my parents (who were married at the same church) bulletins from the sixties church services...cradle enrollment certificates and VBS certificates.

By day one we had 23 members. It has been only four days but we are up to 60 members and have more photos posted. It is a lot of fun and I am glad Cin nudged me in this direction .

Secondly the Cousin Cutters took all of the cards we (Massey) made for them last night and taped them all to mailboxes. My nephew liked the cards and guess what? He likes one of the great catch phrases that I came up with for the bottom of their business cards.

I believe we are going with "Dude, your yard looks BAD".

That way when our guys do make it beautiful..it will be "BAD" "PHAT" and "ALL THAT."

See? It can go either way!!

Thirdly, I was at work when a customer told us from his blackberry he heard Michael Jackson was dead.

Dang that just didn't seem right. Not that I have ever been a HUGE Michael Jackson fan, but Thriller WAS a pretty kick ass album and he still looked cute then.

I'm not really sure what happened with him but I do know although he was super rich he was never super happy.

As for Farrah..who didn't have that haircut? Who didn't think Charlie's Angels were cool? Maybe my parents, but all kids my age were fawning over them even if they didn't let it be known in public. It was just "The Thing."

I was born in 1960 but didn't even BEGIN to grow up until the eighties. This was my generation and unfortunately (or maybe not so) I lived it to the max. I guess looking back I am glad that I sewed my oats then and can live a "REAL" life now feeling pleased that I did the round of a careless and worry free youth.


Now I am on the verge of fifty. I view life differently and more in depth (I think.)

MJ dies, Farrah dies...so do millions of others that probably never even saw a TV set or a TV program. In Dar fur... in the Congo...in Iran... in the German occupation during WW2.

I hate to para phrase a quote from a man named Stalin...not a fan of his by any means or stretch of the imagination... but since my my son first said it to me it seems to make more and more sense in our screwed up and twisted society :

"One person dies and it is a tragedy...a million people die and it is a statistic."

Not to downplay or dismiss either death...just think about the millions of deaths that aren't singled out on the news every day.

They are just as important...it not more so. We must and HAVE to think of our future on this planet...I want to help save it for my grand children and feel like I have done a good job at the end of my own life ... that in some way I have helped to extend the life of my offspring.

Am I misguided ?... Maybe.

Am I true to my own beliefs ? YES.

To not have a passion or an opinion is a shame.

To not care at all is a crime.

No comments: