Monday, May 18, 2009

Unexpected Visitors

Came home from work last night to see a car sitting in the driveway...Florida tags.

It had to be my brother in law.

His mother had wrecked his last car so I didn't recognize the vehicle. She is a dizzying wonder of seventy one years on this earth. She builds coy ponds and gardens that are totally unbelieveable on her little plot of land in St. Augustine. Obviously she isn't a great driver, but other than that, she is one Hell of a woman.

My brother in law is up to visit his daughters who live here , and as my husband said.."I thought I told you he was coming".

He stays with us when he comes to visit his girls. I love him and his girls, love to have them over at any time..but would like to have at least SOME notice that he is coming.

He stays in what used to be my oldest son's bedroom (now "MY" room) a place that I call my own, can iron my clothes in, watch CNN and do the laundry that piles up magically every day.

The only problem that I have is that I didn't have notice to give the downstairs bathroom a thorough cleaning and be able to dust "MY" room so that he wouldn't think I was a complete loss as a housekeeper.

Of course this is all in my own mind, he is after all "A MAN". He could care less what my house looks like, but it matters to me and it happens to mean a LOT to me.

He left this afternoon to go visit the girls and I went into "WIFE" mode.

I cleaned and scrubbed the bathroom downstairs by his "suite". I went upstairs and cleaned the shower he will be using and put out fresh towels.

What is really crazy is that he probably won't notice ANY of it...but I will feel better.

At least the kids bathroom is clean now (mark THAT chore off the list) and at least I feel better about having him stay in my humble home.

Men just don't get it. I was so ticked off at my husband for not telling me he was coming...you know what he said ?

"I thought I told you...didn't I"?

At least my house is clean now...thank the Lord he showed up right before my only day off.

He is on his own from here on out. Of course it won't matter to him, but I feel better scrambling and putting things decent.

It just would have been nice to have some notice, but I seem to work better under pressure anyway.

His leftovers from dinner are in the fridge, his toilet is scrubbed and I feel better...I am not quite sure why, I guess it is one of those "Woman Things".

How nice it must be to be an unasuming and seemingly blind male species?!!

No comments: