Saturday, May 2, 2009

Prom Night...For a Waitress...UGGH

Just my luck, all three high schools in my town held prom on the same night,YIPEE!

If that wasn't bad enough, the economy continues to show it's ugly head in the tips I now receive. My first tip was $4 on a $60 tab.Followed by $3 on $40 and so on and so on. The crowning jewel was a$5 tip on a $112 tab.

I truly think that a lot of people think that us server's get a paycheck. NOT TRUE. We make $2.13 an hour. The government takes out 15% of our sales as if we actually receive the standard tip and that all comes out of the $2.13. I haven't gotten a paycheck in thirty one years, and always owe state tax at the end of the year. So when I make terrible tips, it is actually costing me money to wait on tables. Not to mention if I DO actually make 15% tips, I still have to tip out to the host staff and the bartenders. To give you an example:

I sold $1106 worth of food and beverages. I had to tip the food runners $10.00 the host staff got $18.65 and the bar got $5.33. If I had made 15% of my sales, that would have been $165.00. Not bad for six or so hours of work, but subtract all my tip out and I am left with $131.00. Now consider that my tips were terrible, I made no where NEAR 15% and I still had to fork out almost $34.00 to tip share...It's kinda depressing. Don't get me wrong, I am TRULY grateful that I have my job, I just wish more of the public understood exactly how my job works and what the ramifications are when I get stiffed on a tab.

On a brighter note (if there IS one) yesterday I waited on the president of our company (over 300 stores). He is a very down to earth guy...not that I know too many millionaires, but he was affable and genuine. They are about to do renovation of our store and were there to give it a "look see".

After he ate they were walking around with the architect looking at things when they all stopped by the dish area ( a disgusting place where we scrape food, dump trash and send things back to our wonderful Latino dishwasher). I told the "Prez" (as I like to call him) that it would be great if they could block off this section of the restaurant so that customers had no awareness of this area, with the clinking plates, dumping of silverware and the kitchen help screaming out orders and requests. I said that when we were in an hour dinner wait for a table, the customers were okay with this area, but otherwise they always asked to be moved so that they couldn't hear the kitchen help. He replied, "Yeah, I bet they could get an ear full". I quickly zinged back with "Oh No..we don't seat people HERE if they can speak Spanish". At least I got a good chuckle out of him...and a 30% tip.

I do have a good job, I have a great support team, from the regional manager to the general and associate manager to the cooks in the kitchen. It just bothers me that the general public that has never been in my shoes...doesn't realize how important it is to tip a server...I should say a "GOOD" server.

I will continue my endeavor...some of my regular customers today said that maybe I should start doing a stand up routine during my time waiting on tables...adding a little bonus free of charge. It might be a thought for consideration...although I can almost guarantee my managers will nix that one right off the bat...they know how quick my tongue is.

I keep telling myself that it WILL get better...how many times do you have to say it before it actually happens?

No comments: