Friday, May 15, 2009

The Friend I Have Never Met...YET!

I drive to and from work every day down Highway 34. Once you pass the shopping centers you come to a renovated house on the side of the highway that has been made into an assisted living home.

For the past year there is a small older gentleman that sits by the road on his "rascal" wearing his veterans hat and waves as the cars go flying by at at LEAST 55 MPH...usually 65 or 70.

I always , always honk at him and wave, my daughter(his biggest fan) always want to stop and talk to him.

This past Christmas Massey wanted to take him a scarf and a hat, and if I had not been scraping by to give my own kids Christmas I would have done so...probably should have anyway.

Now it is Spring and he is back at his post. Any day that it is not raining this wonderful friend of mine that I have never met is waving to the masses that "fly" by him, some waving, some not, some honking, some not.

I came home from work last night about 8:30.

The sun was setting and the evening was rapidly approaching. As I rounded the curve on the highway that went by his "home" I wondered if he would still be there? I think about him EVERY time I pass the spot...if he's not there I hope that he's okay and just having a meal or a nap.

As the house came into view, I saw him turned around... motoring his "rascal" back to the house for the night. As I passed with his back to me I gave a honk on my horn anyway.

He never looked back, but flung up his arm in a wave just to let me know he had heard me passing by.

That is all I do... pass him by.

My daughter wants to stop and meet this man, my sixteen year old son is a little more cautious..."He's probably just crazy".

I see both of their points of view.

I say let's satisfy everyone and stop by one day just to see.

He could possibly tell the most amazing or heartbreaking tale. He could be out of his mind, or quick and alert...just confined to an electric scooter and wanting to make his day a little more interesting. Whatever his story or situation is...I feel compelled to stop one day, one day soon and converse with this magnificent man that I am almost positive has spent a life worth hearing about and having someone do more than just "wave' .

Everyone sees him; But how much time could it possibly take out of my day to pull in and talk with him one on one...to let him know who the person in the Passat is that honks back and waves every day?

I don't know what kind of flack I may get from the "home" but I am willing to take the risk.

People who read my blog... that live in my city certainly must know who I am talking about. Wonder if we ALL stopped by to visit this gentleman? Wonder if when we did, we met others that couldn't make it out to the street every day, but were just as fascinating? I can promise my readers and my daughter and son that we will be doing... JUST THAT... Let's meet who I have been honking at for a year...too lazy or too busy to pull over , but now too intrigued to let it go .

Of course I will update you...I always do!

That will be me one day..or YOU one day. Wouldn't YOU want someone to stop in and chat?

Once upon a time they were vibrant... contributing and as fit and able to do for themselves as I am today. The least I can do is stop and smell the roses. I am sure it will be sweet and I am sure it will be welcomed.

One day, it will be me on a "rascal" and I hope someone will feel the same way.

1 comment:

Joannah said...

You love your visits from the "ladies". Just think how Kathy Bates would have felt if she never struck up a conversation with old Mrs. Threadgood! Go For It!