Tuesday, May 26, 2009

"Back" From the Brink...

Sorry folks, but I have been WAY out of commission lately.

My bronchitis came back in a mean way...almost had it completely gone. On Sunday I went into work and the managers sent me home...Memorial Day weekend is a slow time and they let me go home to get fully recovered.. I pulled into our garage...got out of the car and leaned over to pick up a reciept that was on the ground and "WHAM" my back gave out completely .

I hobbled up to my bedroom on the third floor and crashed onto the bed. By 7:00 I couldn't move without wanting to scream. There is nothing worse than having a racking cough while you are experiencing lower back spasms. I have been drinking probably 2 gallons of water a day and my daughter had to help me not only sit up, but lean TOTALLY on her for support to get to the bathroom 8 feet away. I alternated between the heating pad and the ice pack while also alternating between tylenol and motrin. It was almost unbearable until yesterday around noon when I could finally get up , stand up straight and walk on my own.

I have always been healthy as an ox until I reached my mid forties. Since then it has been a steady onset of every symptom you can imagine.

I can't read my books anymore unless I am out in the sun...as I have said before it is like my arms are too short all of the sudden. I can't get things far away enough to read if I am holding them. I have carpal tunnel in my left arm from carrying heavy dishes at work for 31 years, I usually always have corns on my pinkie toes from the work shoes that I have to wear, my right knee still gives out every once in a while from a skating injury I recieved when the kids talked me into the "speed skate for mothers" at skate night for the elementary school they were attending. First off, I was by FAR the oldest mom entered...second of all, not to brag but I DID come in second (the winner was 18 years younger than me). It was back when I worked in the school cafeteria. I remember lining up on the starting mark and kids screaming out "GO LUNCH LADY!!"

I guess I showed THEM I could do more than just slop lima beans on a tray!!

My back is 15o percent better. I can pull up my own underwear now when I have to and even went to work today and managed to stay the entire shift.

Thanks to Mucinex, OJ, my inhaler and tons of water my lungs seem clear and my back is on the rebound.

Dang it sucks getting older!

On another note, my fabulous daughter made the color guard team for the Fall season!! We had our first meeting tonight (which means they wanted their first check).

At least we are starting out from the first of the season and privvy to all the fund raisers they have. They wanted their first check tonight for $220.00, but said we could pay it by the last day of school (Friday).

I opted for Friday since I get off of work at 4:00 and will drop a check by the school to the band director. I LOVE me a check written to someone on a Friday after 4 PM!!

They really have some good fund raisers though and with them ... I think can cover the rest of her $650.00 dues....Look out friends and family and neighbors!! HERE I COME!!

I must say I have been really impressed with the band program , the band director and even her choreographer "Teddy". My husband calls him "Napoleon".

I will include a link that will take you directly to the band's web page (which is pretty awesome) and when you see a black video box in the lower right corner... you will see a video that the kids made of Teddy without his knowledge at band camp...it is hysterical, but I know for a fact that he felt honored that they included him.

I am so grateful that my child wants to be part of such a tremendous and successful program ... that these adults take so much time out of their OWN lives to make our children eager and willing to dedicate an enormous amount of THEIR time and feel an immense feeling of satisfaction for their effort.


This is Teddy with the hula hoop as he watches the group practice....PRICELESS !!


Kudos to you, EAST COWETA HIGH SCHOOL!!

http://www.eastcowetabandphotos.org/08BANDCAMPTUESHN.html

No comments: