Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Darn That Stripper!!

Just got home from work..threw in a load of clothes to dry, helped my son bake his "Toads in the Hole" for international day at school tomorrow and sat down to type.

I waited on the nicest family tonight. The economy has struck hard at our store, tips are WAY down and I have to struggle to make in 6 hours what I used to make in four. The night went okay...could have been better but certainly could have been worse.

My last table was a family of six...Mom, Dad and four teens. They were very nice and extremely easy to please.

When I offered dessert they said they had a birthday cake back at the house. I asked who's birthday it was and they all pointed at dad...who immediately pointed at the others. I ordered our little hot fudge sundae that we give to customers on their birthday and took it out to dad. I told him happy birthday and said "I am SOO sorry, the stripper is off on Wednesday night...prayer meeting at the church. You know we ARE in the Bible Belt".

They all cracked up (even the mom, thank goodness). The man asked me how long I had been serving and I told him for 31 years. He asked how I always kept a smile on my face and a good attitude. I told him I went to college, got my PHD in BS and put it right to use. His kids really liked THAT one!

In my line of work it is a game of averages...some days are downright terrible and other days people seem to be throwing money at me. I just persevere and hope it all averages out in the long run and you know what? It usually always does.

On another work note, I got my sister a paint job ...she is an excellent interior painter and has painted my entire house.

A bartender who works with me (putting her Emory degree to good use) is married with three small children. My sister is painting her front entrance hall.

Let's call this girl I work with "Rebekah".

She is one of the best and most patient moms I have ever met and the result is three terrific kids.

My sister smooths out rough spots as she goes and uses a putty knife to scrap off excess Spackle, keeping the putty knife in her back pocket.

My friend's little girl, probably around three...followed my sister as she painted constantly saying "Are you through yet"? My sister told her at one point "Now I am going to paint the wall RIGHT outside of YOUR bedroom"!!

My sister said this little girl looked up sweetly at her , eyes wide open and said enthusiastically "THANK YOU"!! While painting outside of ....let's call her "Trinity"'s room, she pulled her putty knife out of her back pocket and Trinity said "Why do you have that sword in your pocket"?

God, I miss those days of a young child's interpretation and reasoning.

I remember when my daughter was about the same age she got a doctor's kit from Santa. She wanted me to play doctor with her so I stretched out on the sofa and said "Doctor, I don't feel too good...will I live"? She gave me a serious look and replied "Yes...you will live with your family". I laughed so hard it made her mad.

It's like the time my middle son asked me when he was in fourth grade or so..."If I ask you a question, will you promise to tell me the truth"? I told him I would, then he proceeded to ask me if Santa was real. I asked him if he wanted the truth...he nodded and I told him that Santa wasn't real.

He looked at me for a couple of stunned seconds and then bluntly said "You mean it's all just a BIG FAT LIE"??

After composing myself, I told him it was for smaller children and that in fact the spirit of Santa is what matters most. After crushing him (although I found out later his older brother had already done that without my knowledge and THAT'S where the question came from) he forgave me and asked immediately if he could tell his little sister (the doctor).

Thankfully he let his little sister continue believing the "BIG FAT LIE" for a number of years.

Kids are such a blessing, such a learning experience and a tremendous joy. The stories I have of my kids could fill a book and would certainly be a best seller.

As two have turned into teens and one into a young adult, they still fill me with immense pleasure and pride...even when they screw up.

Til next time...COTTON

No comments: