Saturday, March 21, 2009

Checked Out My Money Trail...

My daughter had a Winter Guard competition at our home school today.

It was my first chance to go to a competition since she has joined. I had to completely redo my schedule at work...been working the same shifts for years but since I am sinking WELL over 1/2 a grand into this...I decided to change MY schedule to fit HERS!

I was not disappointed. There were over 3000 people there from 41 different schools...pretty impressive.

This is the first time I have ever seen her perform with her group...I only have watched her practice in our driveway with one or two other girls.

She had one of the leading dance parts...knocked it out of the park and ALMOST, ALMOST made me glad I am throwing $800 to the school for her to be a part of this group.

This is serious business to these folks too. I never realized how dedicated these kids are, or how crazy the parents can be. I looked out of place without ten buttons and pins and banners on my shirt, pocket book and jacket...most Mom's were a walking display of their daughters.

One lady had a tee shirt on that read "GUARD MOMS GONE WILD"

I can pretty much guarantee that I won't be buying one of those!

All in all I was pretty satisfied with what I saw and the teamwork and camaraderie between all these girls.

And guess what?? My daughter's team won FIRST PLACE!!

I know it's MY own child, but they looked more professional and well rehearsed than any other JV team by far.

I left after she performed to go eat lunch and take the program by my work (they bought a $100 ad) so my boss could see it.

I went back to the school to sit with my daughter to watch the rest of the competition...it started at 1:00 and the last group performed at 8:30.

She was glued to my side. We had a wonderful time watching the other groups and I know that she was bursting with pride that she had her mother with her.(That doesn't happen often, so it was just as special to me).

Kids are a marvelous and fantastic thing...Just when you think they are killing you slowly, they bring you back to the realization that this person used to be in your belly and is an actual piece of you...physically, genetically and emotionally.

It was a wonderful and rewarding day...for her AND me!

I get to do it all over again tomorrow...and you know what? I am really looking forward to it.

It has brought us closer together by leaps and bounds...I can actually see it in her eyes and feel it in the way she doesn't mind me holding her hand while we sit side by side watching the other schools perform.

She is becoming quite a young lady. It makes me sad to see her grow up but proud to see what a fantastic young adult she is turning into.

Maybe I DID do some things right!! Ya just never know with kids...sometimes it's a crapshoot...and sometimes ya just get lucky!

No comments: