Saturday, January 31, 2009

The Triumphs and Trepidations of Raising a Son

I waited on a couple at work today that had a son, MAYBE almost two.

They ordered their food, having a side dish to spare that they didn't want, and I told them to order something for the toddler instead.

The mom said okay..bring a baked sweet potato with butter and cinnamon, maybe he will eat it.

After the meal came, I asked if everything was alright...and how was that sweet potato going over with the toddler?

The dad, who was currently eating the sweet potato said "He won't eat it".

I told them, just wait until they can SAY what they won't eat and challenge you at every remark, comment and turn .

I told them to enjoy it now, because when he is 14, it will be a nightmare.

I also told them to hold on to their sanity throughout the 13-14 year old stage, because when they hit sixteen they seem to soften and return to reality.

I told them the story of my own son, who at 14 had hair down to his shoulders (front and back) and looked like cousin "IT" from the Addams Family.

My husband and I both agreed it was a useless and unproductive battle , that we chose not to pursue.

It is kind of like when they bring home a girl you hate...tell them you hate her and they will bring her back in a week and introduce her as their wife.

We left the hair issue alone for over a year, when one day he came to me and said (thankfully) "Mom, will you take me to get a haircut"?

I was so excited..A HAIR CUT!!!

When we got to Great Clips... I sat in the car (like the mom of a 15 year old should).

When he came out twenty minutes later... he had a mow-hawk.
Not just a mow-hawk... but one with Liberty Spikes.

(Refer to a parental guide for a definition).

What could I say? What could I do?

We decided to ignore this next phase and pray for the next one.

He went to school to have his class picture taken and the principal told him to take his hair down for the picture.

My son was devastated and embarrassed in front of all of his classmates.
It was the first time in over twenty years that my husband EVER went to the school to fight his kid's battle.

He asked the principal if it was a COUNTY rule against mow-hawks.

It was IN FACT...NOT.

It was the Principal's personal opinion that my son's hairstyle was a distraction.

My husband (God Bless Him) stated that It was a violation of my son's freedom of expression...(although both of us hated it)...HE HAD THE RIGHT!!! AND HE KNEW IT!!

Once this battle was fought and won...it quickly fell to the wayside.

He now is clean cut and handsome.

He is just one of those kids that KNOWS "his rights"...and he is correct.

If he wants to look like an idiot...that is his right.

He stands up for his rights... knows them hands down...and uses , upholds his rights and liberties as he knows he is entitled to. (Damn , he is smart...just not using it wisely at this point).

He has moved on, and has grown into a son that I am proud of... maybe a little prouder.

He is a man that will change the world one day.

He has visions and ideas that even astound me!

My husband has even said that if we can get him out of high school...he will be the next BILL GATES!

He has worn me thin over the years, but made me love him even more for standing up for his beliefs and convictions...and being able to back them up every inch of the way.

Sometimes I wonder who's son he really is?

I HOPE HE IS MINE!!

Gotta love those boys... they try you, they test you and they can wear you out.

The biggest problem I have with my 13 year old daughter is keeping her room clean.


I am sure my day with her is coming soon...at least SHE is on a cycle!

No comments: