Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Guess Who's Coming to Lunch? ...AGAIN!!

Once again the walkers were piled up and the wheelchairs rolled in!!

The ladies from the "home" paid me another delightful visit.

The same two nurses were with them. Two incredibly patient and reassuring individuals who make these folks mere existence (that is all some of them are doing...just existing)the epitome of quality care , respect...and realize that each and every one of them are due these things , having to bear the burden of Alzheimer's.


My manager came up to me before we opened and said "Your girls are coming in today for lunch".


I knew immediately who he was talking about. If YOU don't, please go back to last year's posts and read about my previous visit from these ladies. I posted it on Jan 9, 2008.

We had a male visitor today along with the ladies...a "Dapper Dan" type. He and the woman next to him ordered the same meal and he was so attentive and protective of her, that I asked the nurses if they were married. ?

They told me in fact they were married.

I replied that "At least they were going down this road together".

Everyone kept their granny panties on today, and no one even wandered off!

One woman did ask if she could take her steak home with her.

I told her I would box it up for her, and she pulled me down to her head and whispered..."Could I take it on this china dish ; I'll pay for it...I just want it".

I took her steak (on the china dish) wrapped it tightly in foil, threw in a loaf of bread and some plastic utensils. It just seemed to make her day...I know it made MINE!!

Another one of the women ordered hot tea, I made her a cup with the boiling hot water out of the coffee machine.

I returned to the table and my new friend (with a sweet English accent) said that the tea was cold. I KNEW it wasn't, but if SHE felt like it was...I would comply with her wishes and get her a new cup. I did it three times and every time, she complained that it was cold. I told another server, I hope she isn't scalding her throat with the tea.

I nicknamed this sweet lady "The Queen" since she was obviously from across the "Pond" as we say over here in "Hooterville".

They made my day.

I told the nurses that I had told about a hundred people the story of them coming in last year, to which they replied that they had probably done the same!

To wait on, not only these ladies but the two women that take such tremendous time and care with them...is one of the high perks that I have being a server.


Some are quite lucid and some are almost pitiful. But I treat every one of them the same. They are all someone's daughter.

They entered this earth years and years ago, and now are biding time until they leave this earth to return to their Father.

It was an EXCELLENT day for me and I hope at least a GOOD one for them.

On the way out one of the nurses said "Oh, we'll be back".

I love their optimism!!

Till next time...COTTON

No comments: