Saturday, January 10, 2009

All Roads Lead Out of Atlanta

Just got home from a party with my husband.

One of his customer's companies had a belated Christmas party ...trucking companies are extremely busy during the holiday rush and put off company parties til after New Years.

It was by the CNN center in downtown Atlanta.

It took 30 minutes to get from the exit off the downtown connector to the CNN center (a usual five minute drive).

When we finally got to the parking deck of the restaurant...we discovered the "Monster Truck" show was at the Georgia Dome. (Only in the south would it attract thousands and thousands of people on a rainy January night)!!

When left the party, to our delight we realized the "Monster Truck" show had just ended as well!!

We sat in traffic for another fifteen minutes before my husband (a former truck driver in downtown Atlanta for twenty years) wheedled us onto side streets and got us out of the throng of people...

Straight into the Ghetto...I can say this because I have lived here on the outskirt of Atlanta for forty eight years and have seen people, neighborhoods and conditions like this my entire life...so when I say we were "In the Hood"...I know of what I speak!

At first it was "Shoot, maybe we should turn left here to try to get on 29"?!!

It quickly became "Damn, look at those women kicking her out of the liquor store and beating her down"!!

When we finally started to come to an intersection, I leaned forward and was looking around for a street sign, when My husband said "Don't be all looking around and leaning forward like we are LOST".


The intersection we finally were able to see said "Hamilton Homes". My husband said "We don't need to be here if it was DAYTIME"! Turned right on red and headed another direction.

My husband felt relieved when it finally turned into a four lane and eventually turned into I-285.

We were miles out of the way, but on our way back to suburbia. PLUS you are less likely to get car jacked going 70 MPH.

The party was really nice, good food and a great eclectic crowd. I am really glad we went. It was nice to have a "Date night".

But the ride home... "Can my husband show a gal the sights or WHAT"???

We didn't dare even joke about it until we were half way around the perimeter, when my husband said "I feel like someone is STILL following me".

He is my knight in shining armour and he got me home safe and sound... when he said " I almost need a double deuce" as we pulled into the gas station of our nice and safe neighborhood, I thought he was talking about some type of lottery ticket ...then he told me that was slang for a 22 ounce bottle of beer. (He can be really funny when I let him...I just rarely quit talking).

My husband and I both know how lucky we are to not only have each other but to have our kids and extended family, good jobs and advantages that millions of people may never have ... we know how blessed we are.

I made light and fun of the ride home...it was a blog too good to pass up!!

But it WAS scary at the point that even my husband (who has been driving and delivering in this city for 25 years) knew it wasn't a good situation for us to be in.

It is sad there are so many millions living like that. Violence and poverty with crime thrown in for free.

I pray that America is on the verge of a hopefully tremendous recovery.

I pray that the newly elected President can SOLVE not just try to FIX some of our many problems and concerns.

I pray that my husband stays with me for the rest of my days... I really REALLY got lucky when he chose me to marry.

After 20 years...we can still go out for 4 hours and have fun, partying, tension, drama, danger and suspense...topped off with a happy ending!!!

AND A GREAT ADDITION TO MY BLOG!!

I live a very blessed life... as my wonderful husband (who is obviously the most patient man on earth if he is married to me) pointed out tonight, as we finally pulled into the driveway of our house he said "This house has never looked better".

OR MAYBE YA JUST HAD TO BE THERE.

ANYHOO... back at you soon

COTTON

No comments: