Thursday, August 21, 2008

Sometimes The Public WEARS me Out!!

I was at work tonight when a customer was seated at my table...He was awaiting the arrival of his wife and two kids. He ordered water for all four of them. He asked for a bowl of peanuts...which I brought him . After returning to the table , he told me they were stale and asked if I could find him a "fresher" bowl ?

Number ONE: The peanuts are free.

Number TWO: They are ALL out of the same stinkin box.

Number THREE: "Did ya come here for the PEANUTS??"

Once his family arrived, they placed their order... still griping about the peanuts, but had their meal, consisting of a shared meal between the parents and two kids meals.

I waited on them as I would a family that had just ordered four Porterhouse steaks and a thirty dollar bottle of wine.

He wanted to see my General manager, who was currently out back helping to repair the dumpster unit out back in case of an inspection from the health inspectors. He was covered in sweat...heaving a shovel to clean up the mess sometimes left by the people who dump our dumpsters. I asked him if I could tell my "GM" his name, to which he replied "he would only know me by my face."

I assume (probably correctly) that he wanted our restaurant to donate to a school function or buy an ad in a money mailer or some type of advertisement.

The meal went smoothly.

After the meal, his kids and wife went to the restroom . While they were gone I took the bill to the table and asked if they needed anything else.

His reply was... "Can MOMMY have her water put into a 'GO' cup"?

Who is he talking to?

No one else is at the table.

Is he actually calling his wife "MOMMY" to me?

It struck me as strange. I could never imagine my husband saying that.

Maybe he had a brain fart, or maybe they just speak that way so often that it seemed normal to him.

They left me a $5.00 tip on a $60.00 tab.

Maybe it was because I didn't produce my General manager on the spot, or maybe "MOMMY" is in control of the checkbook.

I happen to give GREAT service to EVERY table that I wait on.

I happen to make $2.13 an hour.

Maybe he ought to tell MOMMY that one!!

This is just an observation, just a vent.

It was the only tip that I got tonight that was under 20%.

"Tell MOMMY that she OWES me one"!!!!

If my husband EVER calls me MOMMY to a waitress, I would take him outside and flog him to death...and then I would go back inside and tip the waitress at LEAST 20% for listening to a grown man not only talk down to the waitress, but stiff them on a tip.

GOOD LUCK ever getting me to get you to the HEAD guy in OUR place!

AS I say, it is just an observation, just a rant...just an example of how people want SO much for SO little.

Till next time....COTTON

PS I hope none of my customers ever find me , or my blog!!

No comments: