Tuesday, June 24, 2008

You ordered chopped steak...but what am I ? Chopped Liver?

I ran a plate of food to a table the other night at work. It went to a pretty young guy...sitting by himself. I sat the chop steak down and he began to explode.

"I ORDERED this WITHOUT onions, I told her I didn't want onion!!". I replied calmly that I would take it back and that it would be no problem to bring him the correct steak.

The young waitress that had taken his order told me that the man wanted to see me, and I told her to tell him I wasn't there. She replied that he could see that I was still there...I guess my two inch spiked hair and Melanoma inducing dark tan gave me away.

After her saying that he was still asking to see me, she said that she thought he wanted to apologize .

I approached the table hesitantly, and told him that I was almost scared to come back to his table.

He said that as soon as I had walked off from his table he had felt terrible about the way he had spoken to and treated me.

I gently patted him on the shoulder and said "Don't worry about it...as soon as I turned to walk away, I called you an ass hole in my head".

Let me inject here that I KNOW what customers I can joke with, and this young guy actually found me quite humorous.

He said "Did you really"? I said "no", and then said "Yeah, I really did." But I told him that I had been a server for thirty years, and he would be pressed to a point to insult me...I had heard it all by this stage in my career. I told him that it was our fault his order was wrong and that I was sorry he had been served the wrong food.

He ended up leaving the server a ten dollar tip on a fifteen dollar meal.

Sometimes you just have to stand up and say "What am I?...Chopped Liver"?

For Pete's sake...it's a piece of meat!! It is not like that was the last piece of Chopped Steak left on the planet.

We made him happy in the end, and I made him laugh at not only himself, but at me as well.

Granted you can't treat every person this way, but I pick and choose carefully who I joke with...and he took it exceptionally well.

I believe it was one of my finer moments as a server....don't you?

Till next time COTTON

No comments: