Tuesday, May 13, 2008

My Trophy Husband

Here we go!! My sister and her husband come over every Friday night for dinner (my daughter says we are JUST like The GILMORE GIRLS)!! I told her that in fact we were, except that none of us are rich or on a TV series...and we are two sisters, not a daughter and her mother (although I consider my sis my only MOM that I have in my immediate life). Hey It's kinda cool to have a mom that is only seven years older than me!!

My husband justed walked by the computer, and after looking at the title of my blog... just gave a snort as he went back upstairs to watch the Braves and put some Aloe on the sunburn he got in the golf tournament he played in today.

Here is a good place for the story to begin. He is HANDSOME..I'll give him that. He is a sweet guy, honest and hard working (except at home). He is good to look at, good in bed (is the best snorer I ever heard) or good on a softball field or golf course...or ANY sports "STAT" that you want to know about.

What bugs me is the fact that I have spoiled him BEYOND repair. I met him as he was coming out of a horrible marriage, he was cheated on and bankrupted by the supposed "Love of His Life". I came swooping in...as I do in any situation, and took him not only into my life but into my heart. He had retained possession of the house and had told her to take every thing that she wanted... She ended up taking EVERYTHING..his toothbrush and most of his clothes.

He was my new project...and I took to it like stink on "#$*&". He and his brothers...there are six brothers and two sisters...had been coming into the restaurant that I worked at for a beer after work for months, before I really noticed him. Actually one of the waitresses that I worked with commented on how beautiful his legs were (I guess she took all his long pants too)... and I looked at him and thought..."He is pretty cute". He asked me out for a date...and he asked me to marry him after a month. We waited a year, had a fabulous wedding at the home of his parents...by the pool and shuffle board courts..which were above the tennis courts. Had our reception in the two story pool house that had a dance floor, kitchen and bathrooms. Needless to say "WE THREW DOWN AT THE WEDDING". I did the entire reception myself, and off we went to California for a honeymoon.

Once at home again... I began to slowly realize the MONSTER that I had one handedly created. Once I met him, I just TOOK over, and he let me. Once we started having kids, he obviously realized that he had won the lottery.

After 20 years of marriage, I still do all the yard work (which I actually DO love), the laundry, cooking and cleaning and still work full time.

I remember when my kitchen sink totally stopped working and I knew the whole system had to be replaced, I went to Home Depot and bought new pipes, spigots and a sprayer. I asked the guy if it was easy to do, and he said "SURE, your husband can do it". My reply was a startled "You can replace this from a recliner"??? He asked me what tools I had and I told him I had two big wrenches and a bottle of wine. His reply was "That outta do it".

The sink still works fine, my husband is still the best ball player or all round good guy you would ever want to meet.

One night at the dinner table, I mentioned to my kids that every one liked their Dad. The kids said "Yeah, he's nice to everyone but us... he's nice to Massey (my only daughter) but THAT will wear off. And Whada U know?? It did!! As easy as he is in the rest of his life, he is hard on his kids (GOD bless him) and he is hard on himself as far as being the provider. He is the provider and I am the caretaker. Every once in awhile when I crack under pressure, he pitches in and helps.

He is a creature that I nurtured and brought forth, so I have no one to blame but myself. One time , when talking to my brother about what would happen to my kids if I were to die...his response was "Don't worry about it... Tim will remarry before you know it". Talk about AN INSPIRATION FOR LIVING!!!

We have had many ups and downs...good times and bad times...but you know what? At the end of the day...I love him and he loves me....and at least he is truly gorgeous to look at....Inside AND out!

No comments: