Thursday, May 1, 2008

My Haircut....

I only have ten minutes to post..then my frozen pizza will be ready, my laundry will be done...and so will I..for the night! I was at work tonight and ran some food to a table. It was a woman with her teenage daughter. I went to place their food down and the woman commented "I LOVE your hair"! Let me begin by saying that for years and years I had long hair, which I always wore in a French braid because I work in food service. Once I began to go gray (much quicker than I would have EVER dreamed) I started to color it. I didn't like the way it looked...I LIKED my natural color..it reminded me of my mother and no "BOXED" color matched. So at the age of (about) 47, I went into a "Great Clips" and told them to chop it off. I was extremely lucky that day...the owner of the shop was there(she owns 6 franchises) and I sat down in my lucky chair. I told her I was tired of coloring, tired of the gray..and decided that if I had shorter hair, I would have LESS gray hair. Let me also interject that my 15 year old son went with me. He stayed in the car and probably would not have gone with me at all except for the fact that he wanted me to take him to Blockbuster for a video game and that was the only way he would get there. So I chopped off my locks...looked in the mirror..and once they gave me some product that I could spike my hair on end with...I liked what I saw! I returned to my car, and the first remark my son made was "You look like a lesbian". I told him that he could assure himself, his sister, his brother and his father that indeed I was not gay....although at some point in all of their lives, that may have made my life easier...because they were all "KILLING ME SOFTLY" as Roberta Flack once stated in one of my favorite songs. My husband; now when seeing a picture of me from a few years back will say to one of the kids "Here's a picture of your mother when she HAD hair". I JUST like it. It takes me about 30 seconds to do my hair(on a slow day) and I can barely see the gray at all!! If I begin to see it...I know that it is time for a hair cut. Or if my best friend at work says "You are starting to look straight" I head back to the Great Clips and tell them to chop it off again. I feel that it suits my personality and my general attitude of life..."GO GO GO. DO DO DO...get it done NOW"!! If my husband's hairstyle reflected his attitude... he would have a mullet bigger than "JOE DIRT" . I Guess what they say is true...opposites attract. But I have more comments on this hairstyle than I have had on ANY of my others (and I have had quite a few). It just suits me, it expresses my personality and zest for life...and more importantly DRIVES my husband nuts!! But I do that to him anyway...so at least I am happy with my spiky, short cropped hair...cut 15 minutes off of the time I need to get ready for work...and tell the whole world..just by my hair..that I am absolutely crazy, impetuous , bizarre and loaded with so much enthusiasm and energy for life that sometimes it scares even me! But HEY...Who knows how much time any of us have left? I will leave my mark as a woman with a crazy haircut, a house full of kids that I adore, and a husband that I drive crazy on a daily basis. But I love my life, with it's ups and downs....and wouldn't trade places with anyone else on this Earth. I am blessed beyond belief..and if you take a true look at your own life...you may also be more blessed that you have ever thought you were...HEY...we're breathing aren't we? Till next time...COTTON

No comments: