Friday, March 7, 2008

Time to wake up and smell the coffee

So tomorrow is the big day... our "ALL STORE" meeting of the minds (if more than one mind shows up). It is our big meeting at work that is supposed to change every person and every attitude in our store in 2 short hours. Granted, most all show up... in body..but it seems to me, after ten years of these meetings... no one listens to anything except " Now we will let you all taste the new items and wines that we are adding to our menu." I feel like it should be more of a "Survivor" episode... " I am sorry , but the tribe has spoken (as we snuff out their torch) and now you have to leave the island... please say your goodbyes." No one (except me and a few other pathetic lifers) ever listen or care... The message is good, it is relevant, it is needed... but unfortunately, rarely heeded. I will recommend at this meeting that maybe we need to revert to the "survivor" technique... it seems to work better for me, and I think that it may be listened to more closely than something that they have all heard before. We all have a great, great job at my store. We all have the opportunity to succeed, make money, and provide for the lifestyle we have chosen for ourselves. If ONLY, and I repeat ONLY... they would LISTEN to the management; not make a joke of it; not give continual sub-par performances every time they walked through the door... EVERY ONE OF US WOULD BENEFIT. If we are serving a better product, if we are giving excellent service, if we are making our guests feel welcomed and at home... they will not only tip us more on their visits, but come back more often.. spend more money, and we will ALL benefit from a team effort, and as the saying goes: "WE all look good together, or bad together." This may just be a "GIG" to some of my co-workers... but it is a career to me,; one that I feel that I am quite good at... but the ones that don't care, the ones that don't try.. don't just hurt themselves... they hurt the company ... and they hurt me. And that is what royally ticks me off. Have some pride not only in yourself, but the reflection of yourself that shows in your in attitude, awareness, and level of loyalty to perfection. You know... They don't HAVE to eat at our restaurant... we have to MAKE them want to. I know that in these economic times, people are cutting corners; one of the first being eating out... time to wake up and smell the coffee , servers... or we will be out on the street corner, begging for a cup of it.

No comments: