Saturday, March 1, 2008

Captain Cunningham... "HEARD" Loud and Clear

Another one of our cooks at work is a good friend of mine... We will call him Captain for this post. To meet him outside of work is another relationship altogether. He is a mild mannered, soft spoken man of very few words. To meet him when he is clocked in; is like meeting a totally different person. I almost feel like he is a classic "Jekyll and Hyde". When he is off the clock, he is so meek and mild... but on the clock, he is a demon of the culinary arts. He is so high strung, always shouting out orders, replying loudly to requests, and always in the constant state of having a heart attack or stroke at any given moment. Of course he gets the job done, and does it well, but I feel like we are killing him every time we have him on the line. He is a former military man... a man of strict guidelines and patterns. When the bombs start to drop (the crunch times of the dinner rush ) He swings into full battle position.. "AWRIGHT, AWRIGHT... Stand By, You know what time it is !!" Sometimes I feel like I am standing in a mine field on the outskirts of Baghdad... just waiting for the bomb to drop. He is always totally pumped up to do his job... which he does amazingly well. He relays his messages , orders and requests to everyone on the line of fire ( which would be our kitchen staff) with amazing accuracy and precision. The Latinos just shrug and say to themselves.. " This beats the %$@^ out of what we could be doing in Mexico City." He is dedicated and loyal to our company, and a sincere and honest person. I just worry that one day, he will get so worked up that I will hear " We need a defibrillator out the back.. PLEASE!" He is truly one of my favorites, one of my good friends... but a person that I worry 30 servers.. half of who are idiots, will kill my good friend with their mistakes, demanding and sometimes ridiculous requests that just automatically send him into a tailspin.I love my "Captain", love his wife, and feel extremely lucky that I have met them both. Monique, if we don't manage to kill him with our petty requests... We will leave that job up to you! Till next time... COTTON

2 comments:

MORANDY said...

Hello this is Mrs. Captain Cunningham aka General Mo Cunningham. Cotton, I just typed up a beautiful response to your outstanding blog. But lost the damn thing when I went to register for Goggle Blog. So forgive me if me and my Cape Cods are not as poetic as my first comment. Basically, I mentioned you are an outstanding writer and should apply for the AJC or some type of magazine. I was truly blown-away and entertained by the descriptive and creative way you captured my Captain's character. I was afraid he was having daily meltdowns. He is definitely always ON and brings his A game; it can be TOO much for slackers. I adore that your speak so highly of Captain Cunningham. I love, love, loved your vivid descriptions and could literally see some of Captain C's battle positions; your style of writing is right on point and wonderfully edgy. I'm so glad someone around there notices his efforts. Please note and know he speaks very highly and admiring of you. We both love you and consider it an honor to have you as a friend. LIVE, LOVE, AND LAUGH HARD...GENERAL MO CUNNINGHAM

Auto'Blog'raphy of a Waitress & Mom said...

Your comment was the most flattering and most appreciated words that I could have "HEARD". Your husband is truly a friend of mine...as are you. Thanks for the positive comments. I have enjoyed writing this blog more than anything I have done for myself in years. YES; I hope to be published one day... with all the material that LHORN gives me, it may well happen! Keep reading, and thanks for the inspiration. Thanks again for reading, and God Bless you and your husband. It is a daily treat to work with him, and I feel blessed to have friends like you both. You will have to come back down for a visit soon. Looking forward to it.. COTTON