Sunday, February 17, 2008

My Own Sigfreid and Roy

As I have mentioned before, I have three dogs. We are a big dog family...we LOVE our dogs! We originally started with Rosie...our female Boxer. She was joined after a few years by Ham, her male nephew. He is a stud of a dog...massive legs and paws, but a true "gentle" giant. They get along great together, and are better than any security system we could ever have installed. Recently my oldest son moved back home... bringing with him his English Bulldog "Charlie." There isn't a brain between all three, but they make us happy, and they are "Livin Large" at the Cotton's house. They follow me every step I take in the house, and are never far from me. Charlie and Ham are both still pups...only a little over a year old. Rosie is the oldest at seven, and pretty much just keeps to herself, wondering what she did wrong to have these two "Hellions" added to her previously quiet life. The males are a hoot. They play constantly, and are never, NEVER still. I call them my two little gay boys... they lick each other's faces and ears, and frolic about in the yard all day long. They had a few fights at first, before Charlie finally realized that Ham could probably kill him if he wanted to. Since Rosie has been spayed... I guess the two males decided since they don't smell the scent of a female.. they would just take turns trying to mount each other. ( I hope John McCain dosen't read my blog.) It's ridiculous, but at least they take turns... with Rosie quietly sitting off to the side looking at them like they are total idiots (she isn't far off the mark with that one!) My husband and I have come to call them our "Sigfreid and Roy"... prancing all around the back yard, taking turns trying to be the "man" . Of course they don't have a clue as to us watching and laughing at them; but they probably wouldn't care... any attention that they get from us is welcome... and they really are the greatest dogs in the world. I have a king size bed, and every morning the minute my husband leaves for work, they jump right up on the bed with me, and settle in for a nice long snooze. The three of them snoring is like a symphony ( my fifteen year old says they snore louder than me.) We had to put a little step stool beside the bed for the Bulldog, his short stubby legs just can't make the hop up. He has to use it to get down as well. Any time they hear the garage door opener going off, they are off the bed like a shot to see who has come home. One day my daughter moved the step stool away from the bed for some reason while Charlie was asleep on the bed. I was at work, and my husband was in the bed watching TV with the three mutts beside him. When I pulled into the garage, my husband said the two Boxers leaped off the bed in a single bound, and headed downstairs to greet Mama. Charlie went to scramble down his step stool, which was missing, and landed nose first on the carpet with a big "ARFF"! Of course he recovered almost immediately and continued to hustle his way down to see where Mama was. They are almost like a comedy team... actually they ARE a comedy team to me. I love my dogs.. they are right up there with my kids. Dogs are the most loving, responding emotional support that a human can have.They ask for nothing but food, water and a pat on the head; and in return they give you every bit of themselves and a love that is hard to come by in humans, but a reflex and a natural response to them. My dogs are a blessing to us, three beating hearts that love us beyond belief, and are in return .. loved just as much. If you you don't have a dog... you need to think about getting one. Total devotion and love..who on this Earth can't use some of that ?

1 comment:

Frances said...

Kelly: You almost made me want to get a dog to be my companion. I enjoyed this very much. Keep writing. Frances