Saturday, February 16, 2008

My "OCD" " BFF"

One of the girls that I work with, a server with our restaurant since it opened.. is one of the most amazing, determined and goal oriented people that I have ever met. YES, she has a touch of the OCD... maybe more than a touch, but we'll let her slide on that one... for now ! She is two years older than me, which means we are both "OLE FARTS". Recently she has gone back to school. At first she was going for ex-ray technology... which turned out to be two years of core studies before she could start on th "X" ray part. My manager joked to her that by the time she received her degree, X-rays would be obsolete. Her new goal is to be an Esthetician... facials, skin abrasion treatments, and a lot of stuff that rich women want and can afford. (sounds like a perfect job for the town we work in ) She has been at our store since before Jesus was born... well maybe not that long, but it seems that way. The old women love her, the freaks, odd balls and cranky old men will wait for her to have a table open. Her regulars (the freaks) come in asking for her. I have told more than one that she is enrolled in school again, and only works Sundays now. Some of them ask what she is going to school for... and I wittily reply... "she decided to get that GED she always wanted." All the ole women say to me (very emphatically)...GOOD FOR HER !! I don't think any of them have a clue as to the humor that I am trying to use. They all just think that their favorite server is really going out on a limb, climbing the ladder... and reaching out to grab that golden egg... although I make it seem like she is reaching out the window of the "Short Bus" ... and all of us that went to public schools know what a "short" bus means. But so far, all of the regulars of hers that I have waited on, are so immensely proud of "Their Girl" ... that I feel like I just need to leave them to their illusions of grandeur about their favorite waitress. I guess I will have to throw her a graduation party with all her regulars piling up their walkers in a corner, and waiting to pat their girl on the head... telling her how proud they are of her achievement, and how proud they are of her finally receiving her GED... obviously a PHD in their minds. But you know what? She makes these wacky, weird, hard to wait on people happy... and is probably the best friend that any of them have left in this world. They come to our restaurant to see her; and ONLY her. They are loyal(although nutty loyals) that come in to see, visit and just relax with their favorite waitress, and in some instances, she is the only person in the world that they have to listen to them, understand and care about their gripes, concerns and complaints. To me, she is not only a friend... she is a saving salvation to these "odd" ducks... and probably the reason that they get out of bed each day, shuffle their way to our store.... just to see my "OCD" "BFF" , a woman that could probably run the Happiest Nursing Home in the world. I know that if I was 80, I would want to live in HER nursing home. She is one in a million ... and as always... I feel it a tremendous privilege to not only know her, but to call her my friend ( even if she IS short Bus material). God will surely Bless you Terri.. as you have not only blessed me, but many others as well. I love ya,....COTTON

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Whatever-everyone comes in to see her melon head!! Love ya Theresa:-)