Wednesday, January 9, 2008

my visit from the girls in the home

One day at the restaurant that I work at, I had the delightful opportunity to wait on a table of 10 women from the Alzheimer's home, along with 2 of their caregivers (two remarkably upbeat, sweet and caring women). They had taken the ladies out to the local Walmart to have manicures and pedicures, and then brought them to Longhorn for a lunch. The first woman that I went to, to take her drink order was adamant that she wanted a Bloody Mary. I wish I could tell you how much she choked, coughed and gagged as she sipped her first spicy drink in no telling how many years. But the caregivers were sweet to let her have it, and I can't blame them... if that ends up to be me one day... I want someone to let me have a drink "for Pete's sake.. I am old enough to drink.. and SOMEBODY bring me one! " Of course they had to tell Edith to inhale... "now Edith...exhale " I thought to my myself... that could be a full time job just to remind this lady to breathe. It took forever to take the order, and at some points, the caregivers would just take over the orders as the women just could not gather their thoughts enough to remember why they were even there. Some of the more agile women would just get up from the table and go wandering around the restaurant, and we would have to go gather them up like hens, and shoo them back to their table. After I got all the food on the table, one of the ladies wanted to go to the restroom...stating that she was 70 years old and could go by herself. After a few minutes, she returned to the table, sat back down in her seat... and proceeded to take her granny panties, that she had removed in the bathroom; and stretch them across her dinner plate, covering the entire plate with the elastic band...totally elated with herself for managing such a feat! The care givers went into tears laughing so hard. They said that after ten years of working with Alzheimer's patients... this was a first. They so sweetly took her back to the restroom to put her panties back on, while I clucked around the rest of the chickens; trying to keep them all in their seats, constantly head counting and remembering to say "Edith, inhale.....exhale " . My hat goes off to those caregivers, their dedication, sweet patience and respect for these women that led totally independent lives at some point... probably raised a house full of kids, had careers and a love life.. to one day be returned to the state of a toddler, having to be under constant supervision and care. It was one of the most remarkable and memorable days I have ever had .. waiting on these sweet, totally unaware women. It made me think of my Father who was in the beginning stages of the disease when the Lord so mercifully took him home to his well deserved glory. He feared losing his capacity to function... and I do not blame him one bit. But these ladies were lucky enough to have excellent care.. a day out on the town.. manicures, pedicures ( I would like to have been witness to THAT experience!) It made my day to have the honor of waiting on these women, let them enjoy the outside world, and be treated like the absolute queens for a day... that each and every one of them were. It was one of my most satisfying days as a server, and I hope that someone takes such good care of me; if I ever find myself in their shoes. God bless the ole folks... if not for them, we wouldn't even be here !! Till next time.... Cotton

4 comments:

CinCin said...

Great Blog, Kelly. Love it and can't wait to read more. Once people find this, who knows? This could really TAKE OFF. Keep blogging, girl!
Cin

Neal Cobb said...

An excellent read. Kelly, you've caught the beauty of that special instance of time so well. One can appreciate that both the caregivers and you were respectful of the ladies dignity in a drama that could have been seen by many as "off-putting." Your writing speaks with a warm human voice. More. Neal

Frances said...

Thoroughly enjoyed your writings. I read each one. I can relate to the hospital experience to some extent from the time Mother died. Losing a parent is not an easy thing. Keep up the good works.
Frances

Joannah said...

I love it Kell. And I can just see you buzzing around helpin the ladies out!